• Wednesday, 17 April 2024
logo

Kurdistan Region: A Beacon of Hope for Displaced Persons and Refugees

Gulan Media March 4, 2024 News
Kurdistan Region: A Beacon of Hope for Displaced Persons and Refugees

The Director General of the Joint Crisis Coordination, Srwa Rasul, provides the following insights:

•⁠ ⁠The Kurdistan Region hosts 900,467 displaced individuals, comprising:
- 631,174 internally displaced persons (IDPs).
- 269,293 refugees, with specifics as follows:
- 251,475 from Syria.
- 7,796 from Turkey.
- 8,357 from Iran.
- 652 from Palestine.
- 1,013 from other locations.

•⁠ ⁠Among the refugees and IDPs, 30% reside in camps, while the remaining 70% have integrated into communities outside these facilities.

•⁠ ⁠An estimated 110,000 Iraqi families, identified as IDPs, live across 33 camps within the main governorates: Erbil (41%), Duhok (40%), and Slemani (19%).

•⁠ ⁠As of December 2023, 4,041 displaced individuals have returned to their home countries, including 1,944 IDPs and 2,097 refugees.

•⁠ ⁠The Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) dedicates roughly $2.3 daily per individual for refugee support, amounting to an annual total of approximately $842 million for about one million people.

Refugees and IDPs share their experiences:

•⁠ ⁠"Life in the camps is challenging, with acute shortages of food and inadequate health services."
•⁠ ⁠"We urge for more support and aid for the camps in these tough times."
•⁠ ⁠"Despite rumours of financial and housing assistance, we seek fair compensation and land to rebuild our lives."
•⁠ ⁠"Our desire is to return home, but the absence of shelter, employment, and financial support hinders this."
•⁠ ⁠"The support and respect from the Barzani Charitable Foundation and the warm reception from the Kurdistan Region have been invaluable, offering us the freedom to stay or return home."
•⁠ ⁠"Challenges such as insecurity and housing issues persist, yet we're thankful for the shelter and support from the Barzani Charitable Foundation and the KRG."
•⁠ ⁠An elderly woman, displaced during the attacks from the so-called Islamic State and now living in Hassan Sham camp with her three children, including one with a disability, prefers the hardships of camp life over returning to her ravaged home.
•⁠ ⁠The Iraqi government's lack of involvement in camp reconstruction and oversight is noted.
•⁠ ⁠The failure to implement the Sinjar agreement is a significant barrier to the return of IDPs from Sinjar.
•⁠ ⁠Despite financial challenges, the KRG continues to be a primary support for Iraqi IDPs, even as international aid has been paused due to Iraq's oil wealth.

Top